So you’ve decided to overclock your graphics card. Great! overclocking can provide a significant performance boost. But how do you go about it? One popular tool for overclocking is Rivatuner. This versatile tool has a lot of options and settings that you can tweak to get the most out of your games.
RivaTuner is one of the most popular and versatile overclocking software for Windows. It offers a great range of options for fine-tuning your graphics card, as well as tweaking other hardware settings.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to use Rivatuner to overclock your graphics card and get the best performance possible. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user, you should find this helpful! So let’s get started.
What is Rivatuner?
Rivatuner is a program that allows you to overclock your graphics card. It also provides many other useful functions, including detailed hardware monitoring, saving overclocking profiles, and more. It is the tool of choice for many tweakers.
What does Rivatuner do?
Rivatuner provides options to overclock your graphics card in a simple and comprehensive way. You’ll find standard overclocking options like a core clock, shader clock, memory clock rate, and fan speed (with auto or fixed). There are also advanced options like the core voltage, shader voltage, and memory clock domain (side port).
How to use Rivatuner to Overclock your Graphics Card?
There are several settings that can be adjusted in RivaTuner. We’ll start with the easy ones and work our way towards the more advanced stuff. If you’re overclocking for the 1st time, you’ll probably want to try some basic tweaks.
1. Open RivaTuner and go to the settings tab
2. Click on ‘Graphics adapter’ in the left panel. This will show you your graphics card model.
3. Select the overclocking tab on the left panel, then click on ‘GPU core clock’ or ‘GPU shader clock’.
4. Now choose a value that you want to set your core or shader clock at. You can use the arrow buttons on the right to see the effect of changing your clock speed.
5. Now it’s time for some overclocking! Click on ‘Apply’ and you’re done!
Now that we’ve gone over the basics, let’s take a look at some of the more advanced options.
1. Click on ‘feature’ on the left panel.
2. Click on ‘Unlock voltage control’. This will unlock the core voltage option in RivaTuner. You can now adjust the core voltage by changing the Vcore value in the settings tab.
3. Click on ‘Unlock memory control’ to unlock the memory clock rate (Mhz) option. You can now adjust the memory clock rate by changing the Memory value in the settings tab.
4. Increase your side port memory voltage with ‘Unlock memory voltage control’. By default, Rivatuner will increase your core voltage when you change your memory frequency. To force Rivatuner to increase your memory voltage too, enable ‘Force voltage control’.
5. The last option in this menu is ‘Unlock shader clock ratio control’ and it unlocks the shader clock (MHz) options in RivaTuner. You can now adjust the Shader clock by changing the Shader value in the settings tab.
6. The ‘Benchmark’ button allows you to benchmark your card after applying overclocking tweaks in RivaTuner. This is useful if you want to compare your card’s performance with the stock values.
7. Save overclocking profiles: To save an overclocking profile, select a profile to save from the ‘profile’ drop-down box. Then click on ‘Save current settings and choose a location to save your profile at.
How Rivatuner affects your gameplay or graphics
When you overclock your graphics card the performance of the game increases, but it diminishes the quality of your graphics. For example, higher FPS (Frames Per Second) will make your game smoother and easier to play, but it also means that certain effects like water or smoke aren’t as smooth as they would be with a lower frame rate.
You can then choose whether you want more FPS or better graphics. You can also choose how much you want to overclock your graphics card. If you chose more FPS, then you will most likely lose some quality in the game’s graphics. But if you chose better graphics, your FPS will decrease.
So it’s a trade-off between the FPS and the quality of your graphics. You can also underclock or disable certain components in order to get a performance boost while sacrificing quality.
Common problems and solutions with Rivatuner
Here are some common Rivatuner issues and their solutions:
Q. I can’t access the advanced options in my Nvidia Control Panel!
Rivatuner takes control of your graphics card when you start it up. If you can’t access the settings in your Nvidia Control Panel, then simply press “Cancel” when prompted to do so.
Q. Rivatuner crashes when I try to open it!
As mentioned above, make sure that Nvidia Control Panel has control of your graphics card and not Rivatuner. If you still get a crash, then make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your computer.
Q. My FPS is horrible even though I’m getting 20+ FPS!
You can change the measurement of your FPS in Rivatuner. Make sure that you set “Framerate limit mode” to “G-Sync (EXPERIMENTAL)” and use the same frame rate as your monitor’s refresh rate.
Q. Rivatuner is taking up a lot of my computer’s resources!
Make sure that you close all of your open applications and files before running Rivatuner. If the problem still persists, then try to run Rivatuner with administrator rights or disable the “SMART Monitoring” function in the “Tuning” tab under your graphics card.
Q. The new version of Rivatuner is causing my computer to crash!
Make sure to uninstall your old version of Rivatuner before installing the new one. Also, make sure to restart your computer after uninstalling Rivatuner.
Q. I can’t change my brightness anymore in-game!
Rivatuner has changed the display settings of your graphics card when you change them in-game. Make sure that you have disabled or enabled all functions in the “Tuning” tab in your graphics card.